Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Generosity Abounds

A few updates and reminders!!

   Harrison from KE910 in the Dandora slums of Kenya, who I featured on a recent blog post, has been chosen after a long, nine month wait! I just love it when a child is taken off the waiting list and into the heart of his new sponsor. For me it is the equivalent of seeing a double rainbow or eating a handful (or two) of Peanut M&M's....which means I am very, very happy with a big smile on my face. Thank you, Ginny!

   I shared my adventures in Kenya with my church family this past Sunday, and this is where Harrison's packet was snatched up, along with a boy named James who looks like he is eight but is actually sixteen. He is listed as developmentally delayed and I spent the day at his project while in Kenya. Thank you, Kim!

   Let me reroute to a completely different subject for a moment. Most of you know my son, Caleb and the story of his run in with cancer at age four. You can read about the BEAST if you need to catch up!
   A few weeks ago on a Saturday night, Caleb came running out of the bathroom in full panic mode, crying that he was "peeing blood". He threw himself onto the couch and buried his head in the pillows, crying and whimpering. Of course he remembers what blood in his urine meant four years ago almost to the day. KIDNEY CANCER. So he was understandably frightened. A CT in the ER revealed that his remaining kidney was completely fine and the doctors decided that the blood was coming from a pretty intense fall from his bike. BIG sigh of relief around our house, as you can imagine.
   Sunday we had a hero's welcome for a generous man in our church named Steve who was released from the hospital after donating one of his kidneys for whoever needed it the most. This means that Steve had no connection to the recipient and simply wanted to prolong someone's life with this gift. Which really isn't very simple at all.
   Turns out that a 28 year old father is now living with Steve's healthy kidney. This man was very near death when they took him to surgery and it took several hours for the doctors to stabilize him for the operation. Steve is my hero. And yes, I have a soft spot for kidney donors because of Caleb's story. I didn't even know it was possible or legal to give your own kidney away to a perfect stranger! I considered that it would be such an honorable thing to do, but then remembered that I should save my extra one for Caleb.....in case he ever needs it.
   Steve and Caleb stood side by side on Sunday and I was so proud and in awe of Steve and his unselfish gift of life.

   Now go back with me to the topic of Kenya! The chip in for library books for those empty shelves at KE214 has nine days left! I am so surprised to see how much you have given, as we are at 810 dollars! It would be really exciting to reach 1,000 dollars before the deadline! Once the deadline passes, I will send all of the monies raised to the Compassion Office specifically marked for the library in Kenya.
   I can still see it so clearly and remember how proud the staff of KE214 were with their newly constructed library....about as big as my living room. Cement walls and floors, lots of metal shelving, and lots of children eager to learn, with some of them studying at the tables nearby. But those shelves were lacking books! Which is exactly where God asked me to make the need known. His intent was clear and your response has been so generous and kind. Thank you!!

   I also have two very special children who are in need of a sponsor! I am so sorry about the quality of the pictures. My scanning computer has been ill for the past few days and so I had to try and load these from my camera.
   Prisca was born on August 8 and will be 12 years old this year. She lives in Kenya with her parents and one sibling, loves to jump rope and is ABOVE average in school. She has only had one letter since 2007 and a loving, attentive sponsor will be such a gift to this young girl's heart and life.

The other child I have is Jumaa, who will be 13 on November 5th. He lives in Kenya with his parents and SEVEN brothers and sisters. The average wage for his family is 14 dollars a month. Jumaa helps care for animals at his home and he loves a good game of soccer. He looks painfully thin in his photo and he is listed as below average in school. He is waiting for you to step forward and rescue him from the voice of poverty that says, "I don't matter".